Monday 31 October 2011

Images of Gaddafi on front pages

This is a post mainly on what I think about the images that we received in our newspapers when we heard that Gaddafi had been killed. I was completely shocked when I saw the front page of The Mirror showing the corpse of Gaddafi covered in blood and beaten. It seemed to me that it was placed there as an every day image which I think purely demonstrated violence and destruction. The dictatorship of Gaddafi was indeed inhumane and pure evil to the people of his country however how many young teenagers in our country may have walked past newsstands that day or picked up the news paper their parents had bought... As an older sister to siblings very much younger than me, I obviously don't encourage violence and I would be concerned about the many children that saw the image that day to think this was right to do with such little understanding about Gaddafi.
However reading The guardian it says something along the lines of journalists feeling they wouldn't be doing their job properly if they ignored the images as it was their duty to show people the reality of Gaddafis' death. As I am wanting to be a journalist myself in the future I agree with the fact journalists would not ignore these images and as there job is to produce news as realistic as possible for their audience so would it be wrong not to include the image?
In my opinion, yes it wouldn't give the audience a real taste of how the cruel leader was killed but the brutality and violence proved in this image is wrong to put on front pages.


What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment